Thursday, May 14, 2009

It's all just a bad dream...

I'll call up fears to meet
and spit them out, down in front of me,
then bury them to this beat.
And take everything with a grain of salt
to let all rubbish rot without a thought.
-Hot Water Music

A part of me remembers that boy who had all of those hopes and dreams. I am not saying that those dreams and hopes are gone, but it is amazing as to how life can not only beat you down, but it can resurrect you, too. I remember wanting to learn sign language so I could talk to gorillas. Yea. Right. Now I drive buses for to pay my habits. Is it not absolutely hilarious how this all comes to be?

I know of some people who if they had been given this hand, this draw of the cards, they would become bitter and angry and most likely resent the life they lead and resent all things around them and the people they are with. I am not one to really be a massive fan of Fight Club, but there is one line that always resides in me, and seems to ring true...You are not your khakis. Meaning, I am not my job, and I am doing everything I can to break down this idea that "if you are this way, this is the life you lead!" Meaning...I went to school for 4 years, gained two degrees, I should be wearing suits all day. But I'm not. I'm blue collared to the teeth. And I like that. See? Why not just be unexpected, be beautiful, be kind, be resilient in the face of adversity. I see in a day all too often the lives that people lead and most let the world beat them to a bloody pulp.

So, those line from Hot Water Music...that holds true to all of us. The fears, the bull crap you deal with daily, stamp it out with friends, drinks, songs, dancing (preferably line dancing) and know that the life you have been given is yours to live. Toast to the Father, to your father and make the best of it, for if you do, you will reap rewards that no job can give, no amount of money can sum up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment